As USAT sanctioned events, Tris4Health abides by standard rules issued to maintain consistency and order from race to race. The rules include sections on USAT membership and rules of conduct for swimming, cycling, running and transition. Also included are special sections on protests, hearings and appeals. Click here to download a complete USAT rulebook, but the most commonly violated rules are as follows:
- Most commonly violated Rules and Penalties (PDF)
- Helmets – Only helmets approved by the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) may be used in USAT sanctioned events. Helmets must be worn at all times while on your bike. This means before, during and after the event. (Penalty: Disqualification)
- Chin Straps – Chin straps must be buckled at all times when on a bicycle. DO NOT unbuckle your chin strap unless you are off your bicycle. (Penalty: Disqualification on the course; Variable time penalty in transition area only)
- Outside Assistance – No assistance other than that offered by race and medical officials may be used. Triathlons and duathlons are individual tests of fitness. (Penalty: Variable time penalty)
- Transition Area – All equipment must be placed in the properly designated and individually assigned bike corral. The wheel of the bicycle must be down on the side of the assigned space. All participants must return their bicycles to an upright position in their designated bicycle corral. No person shall interfere with another participant’s equipment or impede the progress of another participant. All bar ends must be solidly plugged. No participant shall bring ANY glass containers into the transition area. (Penalty: Variable time penalty)
- Drafting – Keep at least three bike lengths of clear space between you and the cyclist in front. If you move into the zone, you must pass within 15 seconds. (Penalty: Variable time penalty)
- Position – Keep to the right hand side of the lane of travel unless passing. (Penalty: Variable time penalty)
- Blocking – Riding on the left side of the lane without passing anyone and interfering with other cyclists attempting to pass. (Penalty: Variable time penalty)
- Overtaken – Once passed, you must immediately exit the draft zone from the rear, before attempting to pass again. (Penalty: Variable time penalty)
Agreeing to the waivers and payment of your entry fee constitutes your acceptance of all BBSC Endurance Sports and USAT policies.
Event Modifications / Cancelations
The race directors and/or USAT officials reserve the right to reschedule, modify or cancel any or all portions of an event if weather conditions, water quality or anything else compromises athlete safety or makes the originally planned event impossible. There will be no refunds for rescheduled, modified or canceled events.
No transfers to another person are allowed. Packet pick-up will require photo proof of identity. Participants who swap or sell their race number will not be allowed to race in another Tris4Health event for a period of 2 years and will be subject to disciplinary action by USAT.
Withdrawal requests must be received in writing no less than 30 days before the event date via E-mail to email@example.com. If for any reason, you need to withdraw from a race you have already registered, you can request in writing a 50% discount off an equal distance or shorter race by Tris4Health in the following year. For example, if you are currently registered for the half distance triathlon, you will receive a unique discount code to register for a different race the following year. That discount code would give you a 50% discount off the half distance or shorter race. No transfers to another athlete will be allowed. There will be no refunds under any circumstances. This policy will be strictly adhered to for fairness to all.