As USAT sanctioned events, Tris4Health abides by standard rules issued to maintain consistency and order from race to race. The rules include sections on USAT membership and rules of conduct for swimming, cycling, running and transition. Also included are special sections on protests, hearings and appeals. Click here to download a complete USAT rulebook, but the most commonly violated rules are as follows:
- Helmets: Only helmets approved by the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) may be used in USAT sanctioned events. Helmets must be worn at all times while on your bike. This means before, during, and after the event.
- Chin Straps: Chin straps must be fastened at all times when on a bicycle. DO NOT unbuckle your chin strap unless you are off your bicycle.
Penalty: Disqualification on the course; time penalty in transition area only.
- Outside Assistance: No assistance other than that offered by race and medical officials may be used. Triathlons and duathlons are individual tests of fitness.
Penalty: Time penalty
- Transition Area: All equipment must be placed in the properly designated and individually assigned bike corral. The wheel of the bicycle must be down on the side of the assigned space. All participants must return their bicycles to an upright
position in their designated bicycle corral. No person shall interfere with another participant’s equipment or impede the progress of another participant. All bar ends must be solidly plugged. No participant shall bring ANY glass containers into the transition area.
Penalty: Time penalty or disqualification
- Drafting: Drafting–keep at least three bike lengths of clear space between you and the cyclist in front. If you move into the zone, you must pass within 15 seconds.
Position–keep to the right hand side of the lane of travel unless passing.
Illegal Pass– cyclists must pass on the left, not on the right.
Blocking–riding on the left side of the lane without passing anyone and impeding other cyclists attempting to pass.
Overtaken–once passed, you must immediately exit the draft zone from the rear, before attempting to pass again.
Penalty: Time penalty
- Course: All competitors are required to follow the prescribed course and to stay within all coned lanes. Cutting the course is an obvious violation and going outside the course is a safety issue. Cyclists shall not cross a solid yellow center line for ANY reason. Cyclists must obey all applicable traffic laws at all times.
Penalty: Referee’s discretion, time penalty or disqualification
- Unsportsmanlike-Like Conduct: Foul, harsh, argumentative or abusive language or other unsportsmanlike conduct directed at race officials, USA Triathlon officials, volunteers, spectators or fellow athletes is forbidden.
- Headphones: Headphones, headsets, walkmans, ipods, mp3 players, or personal audio devices, etc. are not to be carried or worn at any time during the race.
Penalty: Time penalty
- Race numbers: All athletes are required to wear race numbers at all times during the run. Numbers must be clearly visible at all times. Numbers may not be altered in any way that prevents a clear identification. DO NOT transfer your number to any other athlete or take a number from an athlete that is not competing.
Penalty: Time penalty for missing or altered number, Disqualification and one year suspension from membership in USAT for transferring a number without race director permission.
- Wetsuits: Each age group participant shall be permitted to wear a wetsuit without penalty in any event sanctioned by USA Triathlon up to and including a water temperature of 78 degrees Fahrenheit. When the water temperature is greater than 78 degrees but less than 84 degrees Fahrenheit, age group participants may wear a wetsuit at their own discretion, provided, however that participants who wears a wetsuit within such temperature range shall not be eligible for prizes or awards. Above 84 degrees, wetsuits are prohibited.
- Abandonment: All personal equipment and belongings taken out onto the course must stay on the athlete the entire time. No garbage, clothing, etc. shall be thrown on the course.
Penalty: Time penaltyVariable Time Penalties
Agreeing to the waivers and payment of your entry fee constitutes your acceptance of all BBSC Endurance Sports and USAT policies. To print waiver that must be presented at packet pick up, click here USAT Waiver.
Event Modifications / Cancelations
The race directors and/or USAT officials reserve the right to reschedule, modify or cancel any or all portions of an event if weather conditions, water quality or anything else compromises athlete safety or makes the originally planned event impossible. There will be no refunds for rescheduled, modified or canceled events.
No transfers to another person are allowed. Packet pick-up will require photo proof of identity. Participants who swap or sell their race number will not be allowed to race in another Tris4Health event for a period of 2 years and will be subject to disciplinary action by USAT.
Withdrawal requests must be received in writing no less than 30 days before the event date via E-mail to email@example.com. If for any reason, you need to withdraw from a race you have already registered, you can request in writing a 50% discount off an equal distance or shorter race by Tris4Health in the following year. For example, if you are currently registered for the half distance triathlon, you will receive a unique discount code to register for a different race the following year. That discount code would give you a 50% discount off the half distance or shorter race. No transfers to another athlete will be allowed. There will be no refunds under any circumstances. This policy will be strictly adhered to for fairness to all.